Monday, February 1, 2010

Maple Ice Climbing

Maple Canyon is one of the coolest places to visit in the winter. On Saturday Morning we left bright and early to meet up with our friends in the Utah climbing club for some winter ice climbing. Maple Canyon gets some pretty amazing ice formations this time of year and if you strap on some Crampons and know how to swing an axe you can climb them. Climbing ice is really different compared to climbing rock but definitely a good way to get out some aggression as you swing the ice axe and pound it into the glistening frozen waterfalls.


Christian was a pro at climbing ice... that boy can sure swing an axe!

This was probably my favorite waterfall because it was just so pretty.


Swinging the axe... not quite as proficiently as Christian but I can hold my own!
Climbing all day sure takes it out of you so it's fun to relax and take a break with friends. Here we are all bundled up trying to look hard core.

This route just about killed me after I climbed it because it was just so long! I ran out of steam about three quarters of the way up which unfortunately is where the business section begins. The smile on my face is of course before I climbed it... after the climb I was laying prostrate on the ground making snow angels for awhile.


I even snuggled a really pretty dog!
Some animals don't feel the need to run away from me in terror:)


Christian is a goof ball!


Something about his face just creeps me out but it was cold so I drank from his cup... I survived and it was quite delicious.


Such a beautiful day!!













3 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks really cool. That one waterfall does look really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fun and exhausting trip. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those frozen waterfalls look really amazing. I'm glad you got to have fun climbing them.

    ReplyDelete

Peekahoo

Followers