Friday, December 10, 2010

Little Lulu

Lucifur 2006-2010



I have not always been an animal person but somehow I ended up with a cat named Lucifur. The two of us did not always get along... I routinely thought up new ways to humiliate and torture him and he was constantly plotting my demise. We had a complicated relationship.


Now that he is gone I find it depressing that I will no longer open my hat drawer and find him rolling around on my hats spreading his Lulu hairs all over my houndstooth cabbie cap. I will no longer be able to dress him in adorable kitty sweaters and watch him sulk down the hall to tattle on me to Christian. I will even miss the way he would plop himself directly underfoot stretching as long and wide as possible when I'd be laden down with heavy grocery bags and could not see the insurmountable Lulu obstacle until it was too late.


I will miss the meows when he wanted to be let outside... and then back in... and then back out. I will never again be able to laugh at his curious expression as he peered in through the glass just watching Christian and I inside. He used to eat just one leg off the grasshoppers in the field... then he would watch them try to hop. We found the sidewalks littered with half eaten handicapped grasshoppers and I wondered what kind of a demented animal would do such a thing.


Despite this evilness he was a truly sweet cat. He would wait all day in anticipation for Christian to come home and would regularly meet him at the door. He absolutely adored Christian and was uniquely depressed when he wasn't around. The two were positively adorable together.



One of our favorite things about Lulu was that no matter where in the house he was if you decided to make a sandwich he was there in two seconds flat to beg for a piece of turkey. I found his carnivorous appetite for pumpkin guts and canned green beans weird and cute all at the same time.


Sadly our beautiful Lucifur suffered a stroke last week and wasn't able to recover. It was a moment of deep felt sadness for us. Through the good moments and the bad this little guy was a part of our family and he will be greatly missed. Good-bye little buddy.


3 comments:

  1. Any cat that would knee-cap a grasshopper to see it try to jump one-legged definitely deserves a eulogy.

    RIP Devil Cat. May you forever haunt your owner.

    PS How fitting that the word verification is "deval"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cute! Lucas will really miss him. That last picture is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of Lucifur in the piggy bank box. Lulu was a good cat.

    ReplyDelete

Peekahoo

Followers