Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I had Mrawmin for Breakfast!


Mrawmin (aka Mom) was in town for a week and I FINALLY convinced her to stay in her room at our place. It took a lot of pleading and begging on my part but she relented at last! In order to ensure she stays with us again I might have bribed her with some home cooked breakfast ala Julie style.



Christian squeezed fresh California oranges (from John and Becky's tree) and made some delicious orange juice to go with yummy omelets.



I also made Eggs Benedict over croissants with avocados and hollandaise sauce. We ate these while watching the Royal wedding. It was so romantic!



I think the crowning jewel of breakfasts were the Mascarpone Crepes with raspberries on top. By far the best crepes I've ever had. Make them, eat them, they are divine!


Mascarpone Raspberry Crepes!

This is the crepe recipe from the Laurel Family cookbook. I halved it for 12 crepes.

Crepes
2 eggs
1/8 tsp salt
1 C flour
1 1/8 C milk
2T butter (melted)
Mix eggs and salt. Alternate adding milk and flour whisking to avoid clumps. Whisk in melted butter last and let sit in fridge for an hour (or a long as you can stand to wait)

The filling is adapted from an Emeril recipe.

Filling
8oz mascarpone
4oz cream cheese
3T sugar
1 1/2 tsp orange zest (preferably from John and Becky's tree)
1 tsp orange juice (see above recommendation)
pinch salt
Mix it all together, put a few spoonfuls into each crepe and roll it up. At this point you can put the crepes in a casserole dish and warm them up in the oven till the filling gets a little melty or use a microwave if you're lazy like me:) Finally spoon the fresh raspberries sprinkled with sugar over the crepes. Top liberally with whip cream!






3 comments:

  1. Those breakfasts look so yummy. I want to stay with you! I want to try the eggs benedict dish and the crepes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may or may not have gained 5 pounds visiting you. And, you have a very comfortable bed for me to sleep in. I will definitely be back. Ummmm, Becky is trying to steal the room from me on our next visit. I might loan it to her just this once, but I'll be jealous knowing she is eating yummy breakfasts without me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like I really missed out on some awesome food

    ReplyDelete

Peekahoo

Followers