Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Burpee Plants


Guess what I found on my door step?



Live Plants!



Burpee shipped me live tomato plants!



They came all packaged up so pretty with all their dirt and leaves intact. I was very impressed with the delicacy used in protecting these little plant babies. At first they looked slightly limp but after some water they perked right up! I ordered three varieties of tomatoes and now I wished I'd ordered more!



As a kid in St. Louis, getting the Burpee catalog every spring was like Christmas. My Dad in particular was always so excited for the day when the catalog arrived in the mail. We'd look through the catalog of seeds and pick our crop of vegetables for the new growing season.



My past living arrangements have limited my ability to grow tomatoes considerably. In our new place we have a ton of patio space just begging to be filled with potted tomato plants.



The three varieties we're growing are a Napa grape tomato (Christian's favorite), the Honeybunch Cherry (described to be as sweet as honey), and the Sun Gold Cherry (super sweet yellow).



Now I'm kind of toying with the idea of ordering the Black Pearl variety. They look totally rad and the name sounds pretty cool too. They are supposed to be super tasty and when chilled are described as tasting like a concord grape with how sweet they are. Yup I might have to order these too.



Now if only the weather outside would improve and stop snowing I could move them to their new location on the patio.

4 comments:

  1. packages from Burpee are the best! When we move into our new house, I'm totally going to order seeds from burpee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! Those do looks delicious. That's awesome they came alive and all packed up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE your father's daughter. He loves his Burpee catalog so much. Those tomato packages are amazing. I might order tomato plants just so I can see the cool packages. Hooray for three varieties of tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Julie. It is hard to go wrong with Burpee. Although I did order a lot from Park Seed Company. There were several things that were only available at one or the other company. Next year you oare going to need a bigger patch of dirt.

    ReplyDelete

Peekahoo

Followers