Monday, November 30, 2009

Doing Crack Over The Weekend

Indian Creek is a world famous destination for crack climbers. Lucky for Christian and I it's only about 4 hours from home. We spent the first day doing some incredible hand crack climbs with near perfect perpendicular cracks that extend upwards for 100 feet or more. The idea is to jam your hands into the crack and then squeeze your thumb or palm outward until your hand is stuck inside the crack. Then you jam the toe of your climbing shoe into the crack and twist it until it feels like a crappy foothold and you step up. You repeat this over and over with much pain and screaming until you reach the top of the crack! It really is tons of good fun and the spectacular views of Indian Creek never leave you feeling wanting.



This is Christian on a climb called "Run Like Hell." It is named for the extremely challenging, yet unique horizontal crack that appears in the middle. Most people are pumped (really tired) before they even get to this hard section so they have to hurry fast through this section before they fall.



This is me flailing through the same climb...



This climb although rated harder was actually much easier for me because of my small hands and dinky digger fingers...

...and yes I did coordinate the pink harness and chalk bag with my pink hat!
Nothing beats an Indian Creek sunset after a full day of climbing...


The following day Christian and I headed into Arches National Park for more desert climbing. This time we tackled a couple of fun towers. The first is called "Owl Rock"...

Christian led this one... Nice stance sweetie!


I had the opportunity to lead my first desert tower named "Bullwinkle"...

Here is me leading...


And here I am proudly riding the Bull on the top! I don't really know why its called Bullwinkle...

After Climbing we hiked around and saw some of the Arches...


It was a wonderful weekend spent together:)

3 comments:

  1. I still need to learn to crack climb. Cool pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O my gosh, Julie! Those climbing pictures are amazing. I can't believe that's my little baby girl up there on that big ferocious cliff!!! (Actually, I can because you have always been a dare-devil climber.) I should like to have you make me a framed 8X10 of one of the crack climbing pictures to hang in the family room. Or, better yet, a triple frame with the series of them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, by the way---
    the title to this blog is very wicked...

    ReplyDelete

Peekahoo

Followers